I want to welcome you to my class; I am looking forward to a wonderful year.
Teacher Ease and E-Mail: Kiefer Public Schools uses a website call Teacher Ease and it is a great way for you to stay informed on how you are doing in class. We also have a school website; I update my website weekly with lesson plans and upcoming events. I will be uploading worksheets throughout the year on my website, if for any reason; you forget or lose the worksheet you can print the worksheet from my web page. This will be a great resource to further teacher-parent communication. Communication plays a vital role in the success of any student. You are welcome to email me with questions or concerns at any time.
Students and Parents should check grades on a weekly basis using the following website: http://www.teacherease.com/
E-mail alerts will be sent when students have missing work or when students have done exceptionally well on an assignment. Please make sure your e-mail is up to date in order to receive these e-mails.
Reminders: REMIND is a simple way for you to stay informed and up-to-date with what’s happening at school. By joining REMIND, you are choosing to receive class messages via text message. Your phone number will not be shared with anyone else in class. You will not be able to “reply” to these messages. To sign up, you will need a cell phone with texting ability.
5th Grade: Text this number: 81010
With this message: @rongeyms5
6th Grade: Text this number: 81010
With this message: @rongeyms6
Monthly Birthday Party Celebrations:
In an effort to recognize all students’ birthdays this year, we will be having one big birthday celebration each month.
Birthdays will be celebrated on the first Friday of each month during lunch time (11-11:25am) in the cafeteria. June and July birthdays will be celebrated in May; August birthdays will be celebrated in September.
If you would like to help us celebrate, please sign up on www.signupgenius.com to bring an item/s for your child's birthday month. Once you are on the website, look for the “find a sign-up” tab at the top of the page and then use Mrs. Neal’s e-mail address (email@example.com) to find the sign-up. Please only sign up for drinks, plates, and napkins after all of the b-day treat slots have been filled. B-Day treats may be any snack food (cupcake, cookie, donut, bags of chips etc.) that does not include peanut products.
Parents may check in at the office and help pass out goodies during the celebration, or parents may drop items off (by 10:30am) at the front office for teachers to pass out.
Thank you for helping us to make each child's birthday special!
B-Day Celebration Days:
September 2nd (August-September birthdays), October 7th, November 4th, December 2nd, January 6th, February 3rd, March 3rd, April 7th, May 5th (May-July birthdays)
Assignments: All assignments are posted on the assignment board in our classroom and on my website. Students are expected to record the assignment daily in their planner, if possible. This is the total responsibility of the student.
- Make-up Work: If a student is absent, he or she is responsible for making up their work by checking the assignment board in the classroom and gathering any handouts from the “While You Were Out” board where they can find the day of the week folder in which they were absent. Students will have one day for everyday they were absent to have the work completed and turned in.
- Late Work: Late work is not accepted, they will receive a zero for any work not turned in and will keep that zero until the work is turned in. At the end of the nine-weeks, if the student does not complete the work it stays a zero. However, students in my class are given one homework coupon at the beginning of each nine weeks. This coupon is good for one nightly homework assignment each nine weeks. If the student chooses to they can use this coupon as a bonus 10 points on any test or quiz grade. Zeros can greatly affect students’ grades, so I encourage you to be diligent about having assignments turned in on time.
- Homework: All daily work that is not completed in class becomes homework and is normally due the next day, unless otherwise specified.
- Projects and extended assignments: Throughout the year, students will be completing projects or extended assignments. Many of these projects will be completed in class. However, some projects will include work that is required at home.
- Grades: Grades are recorded as points rather than percentages. If an assignment is recorded as a “completion” grade, the student earns full credit if the assignment is completed and no credit if it is not completed. I usually do not tell the students if the grade will be recorded as a completion grade. If you check Teacher Ease, you will be able to monitor your progress. Each week, it is my intention to have all grades current by Friday evening.
- Bonus work: I do not assign bonus work. The way for students to be successful in my class is to do the work assigned, turn it in on time and prepare for quizzes and tests. There are no surprises. Students are always aware of upcoming assignments and/or tests.
- Discipline: Students are expected to treat me and other class members with respect. This element of respect provides a healthy environment for learning. Discipline matters will be handled by me as often as possible. I will evaluate each situation and apply discipline to encourage a change in the behavior. It is never by intention to punish the student, but rather, to alter an undesirable behavior. If I ever call a parent regarding behavior, please know that I am calling to seek input. If you or your parent needs to visit me, at any time, please let me know. Communication is vital to success.
- Policies and Procedures: The policies for the class are:
- Be on time, on task & prepared to learn everyday #nofreedays
- Respect the teacher, the classroom, other students and yourself #benice
- Be responsible for your own learning #quitcheating #workhard
- Clean up after yourself and peers #notyourmom
- Keep all personal electronics PUT AWAY! #onlywithpermission #notexting #notweeting #nopictures
General rules of the class are:
- Treat others with respect.
- “Others” includes your teacher, a substitute teacher, other students and any other person with whom you come in contact.
- Do not laugh at or make fun of others.
- Do not use sarcasms or put-downs.
- “Others” include your teacher, a substitute teacher, other students and any other person with whom you come in contact with.
- Come to class with all supplies and textbook.
- All assignments are due the day after they are assigned unless otherwise stated.
- No late papers are accepted without a bonus pass. Pass allows one extra day.
- All work will be completed in pencil.
- No student will be allowed to return to a locker after the bell rings without a bonus pass.
- Students must be in the assigned seat when the bell rings.
- After an absence, students are responsible for checking “Assignment Board,” recording the assignment(s) and collecting any handout from the “while you were out” folders. Two days per day absent.
The Consequences for the classroom are:
1st time: Warning
2nd Time: Read and summarize the motivator
3rd Time: Rewrite the motivator
4th Time: See principal/ contact parents/guardian
5th Time: Detention